There is nothing quite like chicken that's sticky, tangy, sweet and a little spicy on the outside and moist and decadent on the inside. That is exactly what this recipe is. There are dozens of places you can grab a plate lunch from in Hawaii to get sesame chicken, but I'm telling you this recipe is BETTER and it's quite simple. Impress your friends an family with this ‘take out' style sesame chicken dish this week!
Note: If you’re not familiar cooking with sesame oil, don’t pass up this recipe! Sesame oil has such a deep, full flavor. Grab a bottle of it the next time you're at the grocery store in the Asian aisle. You'll be glad you did!
– 3 chicken breasts, diced into small pieces (about 1 to 1.5 inch pieces)
– 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 2 teaspoons sesame oil
– about 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
– salt and pepper for seasoning
– 2 tablespoons ketchup
– 1 tablespoon soy sauce
– 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
– 3/4 cup flour
– 1 egg mixed with 1 tablespoon water
– 3 tablespoons cooking oil
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees
– Put flour in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set bowl aside.
– In a separate bowl, crack egg and add 1 tablespoon of water, mix well. Set bowl aside.
– In a large pan, heat oil to a high heat. Season the diced up chicken generously with salt and pepper.
To bread the chicken: Dredge the diced chicken into the flour. Shake off the off excess flour and then dip the chicken into egg-wash. Shake off excess egg wash, then drop the chicken into the hot oil and allow the chicken to cook on each side for about 1 minute, until the egg wash creates a breading that’s slightly browned. Don't worry about cooking the chicken all the way through, you are just looking to create an outer coating for the sauce to stick to the chicken. The chicken will cook fully in the oven later.
** Fry the chicken in two batches to get an even cook on the breading**
Remove the breaded chicken from the heat into a baking dish with high sides.
For the sauce:
– In a bowl, combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, sesame oil, ketchup, soy sauce, and minced garlic. Mix together until well combined.- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the baking dish. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, stirring the chicken in the sauce every 15 minutes.- Once baked, cover chicken with the sesame seeds, serve over rice and enjoy!