The combination of blueberries, cream cheese, vanilla and white chocolate is pretty much match made in food heaven! These blueberry turnovers really are amazing. The puff pastry is so flaky and buttery, stuffed with a blueberry, white chocolate, cream cheese mixture, then drizzled with white chocolate. These are so incredibly simple to put together and quite impressive.
These are best served shorty after they come out of the oven.
Makes 4 turn overs
Kitchen Tip: If you’ve ever worked with puff pastry, you know that it can be difficult to work with if it gets warm, and it gets warm quickly. Unfold the thawed puff pastry and place it on floured plate and keep it in the fridge until right before you are ready to use it. Also make sure that your work surface and rolling pin are floured generously.
– 1 sheet of puff pastry, thawed
– 2 and 1/2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened to room temperature
– 2 and 1/2 tablespoons sugar
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
– 1 egg yolk
– 3/4 cup blueberries
– 2 tablespoons white chocolate chips
– 3/4 teaspoon corn starch
– pinch of salt
– egg wash (1 egg beaten with water)
For the icing:
– 3 tablespoons of white chocolate chips
– 1 teaspoon cream cheese
– 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
– Mix together cream cheese, 2 tablespoons sugar, vanilla, 2 tablespoons melted white chocolate chips and the egg yolk in a bowl.
– In a separate bowl, mix together blueberries, remaining sugar, corn starch and lemon juice.
– Make sure your surface is well floured. Roll out the puff pastry until it’s about 10 by 10 inches.
– Use a bowl or a cookie cutter to cut 4 circles out of the puff pastry (about a 4.5 inch bowl).
– Place the cream cheese mixture evenly in the center of each circle, and top with the blueberry mixture.
– Brush the edges of the circle cutouts with the egg wash. This will help seal the edges together.
-Fold over one half of the cut out, making a half moon shape. Seal the edges tightly by pinching the edges together.
– Brush the top of each half moon with the egg wash. With a sharp knife, make a small slit on the tops of each pastry.
– Bake for about 25 minutes, or until nice and golden brown on the tops.
– Once they’re done, allow to cool for a couple of minutes. While they cool, put together the quick icing.
For the topping:
– In a microwave safe bowl, mix together the icing ingredients. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until melted. Mix together well.
– Drizzle the icing mixture on top of each turnover with a spoon, or use a zip-lock bag with a small slit in the corner and squeeze the icing on top.